Monday, February 3, 2014

Bowled Over?

The game day came and went, in my little bubble at least, without fanfare. My remote didn't stray to the lower regions of the channel register to take a peek at the score or the half-time festivities. I don't know what commercials caught the most attention or caused the most ruckus. 

The morning after, the only reason I know about the score and the continental divide that separated the winning and the losing is because it's been all the buzz on the morning radio talk; and you can't go in a store or cafe without someone making mention of it.

Call me un-American, I just can't get into it. Still, I know there are plenty of people who are. I know plenty of people work their entire weekend game-plan around the game...and to each his own. I don't really understand their fascination any more than they understand my fascination with watching people open baskets of strange ingredients and competing to make something not only edible, but inspiring––all in the hopes of making some money.

That's the point––everyone has different interests and passions. Everyone has different dreams and goals. All of these people who keep us, the viewers, entertained and glued to our television sets and mobile devices for the latest episodes and play-by-plays started off with a dream, a vision, a goal. They were inspired by the people they watched. Think about the ripple effect of that. 

It's amazing, really, how much the words and actions of someone can change the future, simply by changing one life. It's awesome and scary all at the same time, if you ask me. Sometimes it happens without our awareness, as we quietly go about our own lives, thinking no one is watching or that no one really cares. But people see. People hear. They learn to dream and hope––or they learn to give up.

I don't know about you, but I want to be someone who inspires. Someone who shows others that, scary as it might sometimes seem, dreams are worth chasing. That they deserve to live their passions and light the world on fire with their talent. I want to score the goal and do the stupid end-zone dance...
I want to go to Disney World.

No comments:

Post a Comment