Thursday, July 4, 2013

Fizzled, Drizzled, Fireworks

It's a gloomy 4th of July here where I live in the panhandle of Florida, the rain that saturated us earlier this morning having subsided for the time being. But still, it's an overcast day, the sky heavy with the possibility of more rain. This is Florida, though, and the weather here is as unpredictable as an unmedicated manic depressive...which means I could look out the window five minutes from now and be staring at sunny skies. Whatever the case may be, I'm sitting here in my booth at my favorite haunt, chugging coffee and wondering (in between working on writing assignments) what the very first Fourth of July looked like. Was is sunny? Was it threatening rain? It was a day of triumph, but did the weatherman's forecast reflect the optimistic future of a new country?

I always find it amazing how much the weather impacts my mood. I can't help but feel slightly melancholy on days like this, even though this is supposed to be one of those wickedly celebratory days on the calendar. Still, I have reason to celebrate. I live in a free country where I can pray and worship without worry, have an independent life and make decisions for myself even though I'm a woman, and savor the flavor of a good cup of coffee while I work to make a life for myself doing something I love. The weather outside may be gloomy, but I still have time to write a happy ending to this Independence Day. 

Maybe I'll even write a wish in the sky with sparklers.

No comments:

Post a Comment