Friday, October 12, 2012

Skin Deep

I admit it. I think a lot. Maybe too much, sometimes. But somehow, I don't see that changing any time soon. And that shrieking little voice in my skull that yammers incessantly all day gets just a little bit too loud sometimes. Needless to say, long stretches of complete silence are not always a good thing. Not in my case, anyway.
So when my car was in the shop for repairs recently, the two days that I drove a loner car were a little bit on the torturous side. The car itself wasn't really the issue. It was what was inside the car that was my biggest problem: a radio that didn't work. Which meant silence. Big, bad, deafening silence. Everywhere I drove. 
And you can guess what that meant. Thinking. Lots and lots of thinking.
Many, many things have been going on in my life lately. Some good. Many bad. And many, many confusing. Worst of all is the hurt, though, that's resulted. 
And in all of this time I had thinking, I began wondering what people would look like if we could see all of the hurt that they've been through. Kind of like those scanners that show you all the damage your skin has undergone–all the stuff that is invisible to the naked eye. How would we treat one another? Would we be more careful if we could look at someone and see their emotional scars, their open wounds, just as easily as we can see a physical injury? 
Think about that next time you meet someone. They might look fine on the outside, but you never know what they carry. What stories they hold in their hearts. What wounds they bear.
Take care and be kind. You might just make more difference than you know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment