Saturday, March 22, 2014

Tell Me a Story

As a writer, I'm naturally inquisitive...Or maybe, I'm naturally inquisitive, which is why I'm a writer.

Whatever the case may be, I've always been a people watcher, a listener, someone who loves to hear other people's stories. Personally, I think other people are fascinating. You never know who the seemingly ordinary people next to you really are, where they come from, what they've seen...until you start listening. 

And when you start listening, people certainly seem eager to tell you their stories.

At least, they do with me...Which would make me a really great bartender, I guess, if this whole writing thing doesn't fly. (So far, so good...)

Anyway, I'm constantly reminded how much people want to be heard. They want to know that they matter, that they're not alone, that they're special. They want to know that, in the millions of people out there, they are still important.

It's actually one aspect of my job that I love––making people feel heard. Even if I'm just quoting women I've met randomly in the mall when I'm out trawling for sources to use in my articles––like what they look for in a mate, how they find the perfect pair or jeans, or what they have on their bucket lists–-the look of absolute joy that creeps over their faces is rewarding for me. It's amazing to see how transformative it can be, how excited they get at the idea of seeing their words and their name in an actual magazine. I love it, and it reminds me why I do what I do.

People find out you're a writer, and they come to you for all kinds of things––the company they work for is throwing a big to-do, would that be something the magazine would want to cover? Or the more personal––emotional stories about what they've been through with a spouse or a child. Potential human interest pieces that they just want to have someone hear, to have attention brought to whatever issue they feel so deeply about. They don't have the words, but they know that you do. You're a writer, someone who can give their voice life. 

For me, their trust in my abilities is a gift in itself. Hopefully, I pay it forward in ways that matter.
After all, we all deserve to be shown that our lives have meaning, that we are special, that our stories are being told.

Take a look at the person next to you, and when they start talking, listen.

You might learn something. And you'll both end up reaping the rewards.

No comments:

Post a Comment