Monday, September 17, 2012

Powered-up

When I'm a good girl and actually remember to do it, I read the daily devotional Jesus Calling. Today's reading, appropriately, was a reminder not to try to control and plan our lives––perfectly timed on a day when wicked thunderstorms knocked out the power for three hours. I couldn't even leave the house to go somewhere and kill time, since my car was in the garage––which meant that my car was imprisoned in the dungeon whose entree and exit required electricity. (Try pushing the garage door opener when the power's out, and you're rudely awakened to the fact that EVERYthing needs power.) It was unplanned and definitely inconvenient, but it could have been worse. It could have happened in the dead heat of summer, leaving me hot, sticky, and miserable. It could have lasted far longer than just three hours. And, of course, there's always the fact that the wicked thunderstorms could have resulted in something much more devastating...like a tornado or some kind of structural damage to the house. So. In the midst of my monkey-wrenched day, I realized I had many things to be thankful for...like working electricity and the nice people at the power company who come out to fix said electricity when it goes out. As the sun started to go down; and the use of a flashlight became more mandatory than optional for my reading, the power popped on, reminding me that there are blessings even in the most everyday things.    

No comments:

Post a Comment