Saturday, January 4, 2014

Consistently Inconsistent

Not that I consider myself some great contributor to the world wide blogosphere, but I always feel a slight bit of guilt when I go days between blog posts. For those few readers I do have (and thanks to you all, for your vigilance, patience, and interest in what I have to say–random though it mights sometimes seem), I feel a debt of gratitude and a desire to give them a steady stream of content. 

On that front, I seem to be terribly inconsistent. Really, I'm not being lazy. There are some days that seem to pass in a blink without giving me time enough to compose something both legible and interesting. There are some days when I have absolutely, positively no idea of what I have to say that might be even remotely worthy of posting. And there are some days that I just plain forget. All of which collaborate in conspiracy against me to become a dreadfully inconsistent frequency of postings. 

Maybe something I'll make it a point to rectify in this new year...

Four days in already! Isn't that just amazing? Maybe some of you out there are unfazed or can greet the date on the calendar without widening your eyes at the slippery passage of time, but I am not one of you. Nope. I am constantly amazed by how quickly one calendar month melts into another––sometimes  sweetly, like chocolate in a double boiler; sometimes more resembling clashing flavors, like salt melting into coffee. It may look a bit like sugar, but the two couldn't be more different.   

Quick as the year flashes by, the unpredictability seems to come more into play with regard to the hours of those days. Some seem to crawl by with painful disregard to any desire that we might have to wave good-bye. Some hours seem to whoosh by like a swift breeze––even if we'd rather they'd slow down a bit and let us catch up. They are predictably unpredictable, consistent in their inconsistency. However they pass, they are, in reality, the same number of seconds; minutes; and hours. 

Once they're gone, they're gone, never to be recaptured or rewound. In that way, they are both cruel and kind, depending on the day's events. 

So here we all stand, together facing the fourth of January, 2014. Each of us will be facing different hours, different ways that the same day will unfold. Unique to all of us, yet consistently inconsistent.


No comments:

Post a Comment