Wednesday, January 1, 2014

No Resolutions

Amazingly enough, it's the beginning of another year. 
     2013 is past, and 2014 is our new reality.
     The rent check I scribbled out this morning said January 1, 2014, an undeniable acknowledgement of not only a new month, but a new year. A brand new, clean slate. 
     I'm not making any resolutions––I never do. Rather, I have unofficial hopes for myself and for the year ahead. Perhaps a life coach or a counsellor would declare that insufficient, that I should make something concrete. 
     But, as I've learned far too many times, there are just too many things in life that you can't plan, and often those "resolutions" become condemnations rather than achievements. 
     Yes, I, the self-proclaimed control freak, am freely admitting that I don't have control the world and all the minutes that pass in the day. Much as I generally want to control everything, I don't get that luxury. Last time I checked, God hadn't issued any decrees that I am now Mistress of the Universe. The earth is still His domain, and He still knows far more than I will ever conceive of. 
     I'm still beyond flawed, and He's still beyond perfection.
     All of which mean I have a limited, human scope of the future. Any predictions I make will, in all likelihood, far fall short of the mark. Any plans I make will, in all likelihood, have to change in some way, whether those changes prove to be big or small.
     Granted, I'm not saying it's not wise to have goals or make plans. I'm saying (and trying to listen to myself say this and digest it, since––remember––I'm a control freak) that we need to make plans with the understanding that they need to be flexible, fluid. Not set in cold stone that shuts everyone out.
     There are other people in the world than just us, even though we'd all like to think that the world actually does revolve around us. It doesn't. Not even close.
     So make your plans and set your goals. 
     Dream your dreams. 
     Just do it all with the knowledge that the future isn't firmly in place yet.
     2014 is brand new, little caterpillar.
     Are you allowing your future to give you beautiful wings to fly, or are you pinning yourself behind glass?

No comments:

Post a Comment