Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Word Count

What is it about working for yourself (sort of) that leaves you feeling inept? Or is it just me? Sometimes, I think it's a little less stressful when you can have a supervisor of some sort above you, telling you you're meeting (or maybe even surpassing) company expectations. Or even that you need to step up your game, because you're not really pulling your weight. Something, some evaluation of some kind, is nice to have on occasion. 
Or am I alone in thinking this? 
When you don't clock in everyday, don't have some entity directly above you all the time, it can be easy to lose track of yourself, how you're actually doing. In my case, I tend to wonder if I'm a complete failure. I'm not putting out best-sellers, I'm not raking in high-dollar assignments from major magazine corporations.
I'm just little old me, slogging through the muck to try and live my dream. And it's scary sometimes. 
Not to mention frustrating.
But still, this is what I love. This is what I dream of spending my life doing.
It would just be nice, sometimes, to know that what I'm doing counts.
That the words matter to someone.
That I'm not failing.
And maybe that I should never back down.
Sometimes it's easy to forget that it's worth the fight. 
But at the end of the day, the pen (or computer) is mightier than the sword.


No comments:

Post a Comment