Saturday, November 16, 2013

Anything But Boring

I don't know about anyone else here, but if I'm perfectly honest, most of the time I feel like the most boring person on the planet. For me, an exciting Friday night generally includes dancing with my Dirt Devil as we chase away the little bit of dirt and dust that might have accumulated on the apartment floor over the past week, sniffing the pungent odors of eau de Windex and Scrub Free as I'm scrubbing down the bathroom, and folding laundry as the latest string of Say Yes to the Dress and House Hunters plays in the background. A swingin' single I am not. So am I boring?
Perhaps yes, perhaps no.
But for me, there are moments of greatness even in the mundane. And even those are far less than the greatness that God is holding out to us, if only we reach for it.
In his book Boring: Finding An Extraordinary God in An Ordinary Life, Michael Kelley (B&H Publishing) challenges us as readers and fellow Christians to "see the greater purpose in the seemingly small and mundane details of life...When Jesus enters a situation, even the most mundane things become extraordinary." 
So what exactly does this mean, and how can it change us? Look at your life and be present. Appreciate the gifts that God has given you and continues to give you. These are the things that make our days far from ordinary, even if they seem boring on the surface. We are here, now, and God has a specific purpose for each of us. We are far from boring.

No comments:

Post a Comment