Sunday, November 3, 2013

The Lost Hour


Sure, in theory, we "gained" an hour. But did we really?
If you ask me, it feels much more like we lose an hour with the time change––after all, to make use of that hour, one would have to wake up an hour earlier, as the tail end of the day is shortened. At least, for those of us who are not high on the Night Life. 
And I, for one, am not. While I might not be someone who gets many hours of shut-eye, I do feel like it's time to roll up the sidewalk and tuck in for the night when darkness falls. I'd rather be home than romping around in the blackness, however well-lit it might be. 
Call me a fuddy duddy or a kill-joy, that's just the way I am. And so, consequently, I feel like that so-called "gained" hour should actually be considered a loss. After all, it means earlier dark, earlier time to roll up the sidewalk.
Once upon a time it didn't bother me so much, but that was before. 
Life has changed a lot since then––the clock has slipped and slided. The years have reshaped the night and what's to be found there. And for now, I retreat to safety. Where dark is outside my door and not welcomed inside. Where light is within reach. Where shadows can be chased away.

No comments:

Post a Comment